The Central Minnesota Catholic magazine received 13 awards from the Catholic Press Association of the United States and Canada for work published in 2019. The awards were announced July 2 as part of the 2020 Catholic Media Conference. The gathering was originally set for Portland, Oregon, but was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. It was replaced by an online conference featuring workshops, keynote speakers and the awards ceremony.
“The honors are an affirmation of the hard work our staff does every day to deliver the Good News to Catholics of our diocese,” said editor Joe Towalski. “I am particularly pleased by what we were able to achieve during the first year of our new magazine format. Our look has changed but our mission has stayed the same: informing, forming, inspiring and building up our Catholic community here in central Minnesota.”
The awards are:
- First place — Best Seasonal Issue or Section for “Who Do You Say That I Am? Advent 2019,” for a section in which readers submitted their reflections on the name of Jesus.
- First place — Best Explanation of Marriage for “Two Generations of Love,” in which two couples talk about secrets to a good marriage. Story by Kristi Anderson, photo by Dianne Towalski.
- First place — Best Reporting of Social Justice Issues – Care for God’s Creation for “Care for God’s Creation: A Legacy of Faith,” coverage of the 2019 Rural Life Celebration. Story by Kristi Anderson, photos by Dianne Towalski
- First place — Best Photograph – Immigration/Migration for “Construyendo Puentes” a photo by Dianne Towalski from a Mass for migrant workers in Brooten.
- Second place — Best Blog for “From the Heart,” coordinated by Kristi Anderson.
- Second place — Best Regular Column – Bishop’s Column in a Diocesan Magazine for “From the Bishop” by Bishop Donald Kettler.
- Third place — Best Promotional House Ad for “Reader’s Guide to Making the Most of The Central Minnesota Catholic.” Design by Barb Simon-Johnson.
- Honorable mention — Magazine of the Year – Diocesan Magazines for The Central Minnesota Catholic 2019.
- Honorable mention — Best Layout or Article Column – Diocesan Magazine for “Eyes on Tokyo,” a feature on local gymnast Grace McCallum preparing for the Olympics. Design by Jose Mendez
- Honorable mention — Best Editorial for “Walking Humbly With God On A Path To End Racism,” by Joe Towalski.
- Honorable mention — Best Reporting of Social Justice Issues – Solidarity for “Brianda Cediel Lives and Teaches Servant Leadership,” a cover feature on Cediel’s work with Hands Across the World. Story by Nikki Rajala, photos by Dianne Towalski.
- Honorable mention — Best Special Section for “Called to Serve All,” coverage of the diocese’s 2019 ordinations. Stories by Kristi Anderson, photos by Dianne Towalski.
- Honorable mention — Best Feature Article – Diocesan Magazines for “Residents Encounter Christ,” by Kristi Anderson, a feature on Billy Holman of Little Falls and how the REC program helped him.