Bishop Patrick Neary, C.S.C., announced several new appointments on March 1, changing the current staff structure to better serve the faithful of the diocese, he said.
Father Robert Rolfes, who served as vicar general and moderator of the curia, and Jane Marrin, who served as chancellor, have retired, leaving several positions open.
“Both have served this diocese generously for decades,” Bishop Neary said in a letter to priests announcing the appointments. “And I am indebted to them for the knowledge and experience they have shared with me since my arrival.”
Over the last few months, Bishop Neary has been meeting with people and praying about the best way forward to appoint their replacements and other key staff members, he said.
“One of my goals was not to pull priests away from parish ministry roles where they are so needed,” he said.
The changes in the current staff structure divide many roles into part-time vicar positions.
The following are the new appointments, effective March 1, 2023:
- Father Scott Pogatchnik will serve as vicar general, while continuing as rector of St. Mary’s Cathedral and pastor of St. Augustine and St. John Cantius Parishes in St. Cloud.
- Father LeRoy Scheierl will be vicar for clergy, while continuing as pastor of St. Peter and St. Paul parishes in St. Cloud.
- Joe Towalski will serve as the new full-time chancellor. He also will serve as chief of staff, assuming the functions of the moderator of the curia (a title that is reserved for clergy.) He will oversee the curia directors and coordinate the work of the diocesan staff. He will remain the director of the Communications Office.
- Father Matthew Crane will become vicar for canonical affairs, while continuing as adjutant judicial vicar for the diocesan Tribunal.
- Father Ralph Zimmerman will serve as vicar for retired priests, while continuing as vicar for permanent deacons.
- Father Tom Knoblach will be vicar for health care ethics, while continuing as pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in Sauk Rapids and Annunciation Parish in Mayhew Lake.
- Terry Voigt, who served as administrative assistant to Father Rolfes, becomes vice chancellor, assisting the chancellor while also working to facilitate the transition of several of the new vicar positions.
- Anna Kampa, who had served as development associate, will be interim director of development and stewardship.
- Colleen Haider will continue to serve as executive administrative assistant to the bishop.
- Father Steve Binsfeld will serve as chair of the Diocesan Building Commission.
Bishop Patrick Neary – are the priest still going to get new job assignments come July 1st??