Father Tom Knoblach, consultant for health care ethics for the Diocese of St. Cloud, will present a series of free talks based on the “Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services” on Monday evenings from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the parish hall at Sacred Heart in Sauk Rapids starting Oct. 10.
Father Knoblach is also pastor of Sacred Heart and Annunciation in Mayhew Lake.
This education opportunity will take participants on a journey through the history, contents, and applications of the “Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services” (ERD). What is distinctive about Catholic health care? What ethical principles guide decisions for patients, families, providers and organizations? What are the challenges and unanswered questions that continue to arise in these changing times?
Dates and topics include:
- Oct. 10 — What is Catholic Health Care? History and the ERD
- Oct. 17 — Ethics in Health Care: How do we decide the right thing to do?
- Oct. 24 — ERD, Parts I – III: The Social, Pastoral, and Spiritual Responsibility of Catholic Health Care; The Professional-Patient Relationship
- Nov. 7 — ERD, Part IV: Issues in Care at the Beginning of Life
- Nov. 14 — ERD, Part V: Issues in Care at the End of Life
- Nov. 21 — ERD, Part VI: Partnerships with Non-Catholic Organizations and Providers; Conclusion
Copies of “Ethical and Religious Directives” will be provided for reading to accompany the talks. There is no cost for this event. All are welcome. Registration is requested so that materials can be prepared. Call Jill Lieser at Sacred Heart (320-251-8115) to register.
Top photo: Bigstockphoto.com